Customized and Personalized Coaching

Thursday, February 1, 2007

I have no bloody idea what I am doing

OK, I'm doing it. I've lurked long enough and have decided to jump on the blogging band wagon. The unfortunate part, mostly for all of you, is that I haven't a clue where to begin or how to continue.
I guess I will just start with the basics. I am 28 years old and live on the remote island of Kodiak, Alaska. And when I say remote, I mean remote. The nearest big city is Anchorage, which is 250 miles by air. You can't drive there. You have to fly or take the ferry (which can take betwen 13 and 20 hours).
The city of Kodiak hovers around 8,000 people. It rains here a lot. And then there is the fog. Check out today's view: Kodiak Weather Cam

But I'm not complaining. I love it here. It's an amazing place to call home. When the weather breaks and the sun is shining it will take your breath away.
I live here with my husband and my dog.The dog's name is Jitney.She makes a great running partner, except that stops to pee far more frequently than I do. She's an amazing dog, as if anyone with a dog would ever say anything but that. My husband is similarly amazing. He is a salmon and herring research biologist for the state, but his true passion lies in his artwork. Check it out at MetallicMarineArt.

But let's not forget about his third job. He manufactures a smoked salmon jerky stick called Kodiak Solstix.
As for me, well I have to admit that the idea of a blog is both appealing and a bit unsettling. You are essentially exposing yourself, constantly talking about your life and what you find important. What if people don't like what you have to say? Well, I'm here, so I guess I am willing to take that risk.
I am many things. Aside from being a wife, daughter, and sister, I most identify myself as a biologist and a triathlete. As a biologist, I study marine mammals. Yep, it's as cool as it sounds. As a triathlete, I am your typical middle of the packer. I have no delusions of ever reaching the podium, but as long as I can swim, bike, and run I will remain content. Which is what has lead me here. Like many other triathletes before me, SimplyStu ("The PodFather) introduced me to the world of podcasts and I have been an avid listener to Stu, GYGO, and Zen ever since. Also like many before me, these programs serve as a constant source of information and inspiration.
As I'm sure you can imagine, living in Kodiak makes me feel very removed from the triathlon community. I'm tired of feeling that way. If nothing else, these podcasts have taught me that you don't have to live in Boulder or San Diego or Wisconsin to experience that sense of community. So, here I am. I'm throwing my hat into the ring. I want to be part of the Tri-Blogger Alliance. I want the camaraderie. I want to be able to talk to people who know what LT, brick, and plantar fasciitis all mean.
I hope you will welcome me. I have a feeling you will.

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME! I'm a total back-of-the-pack beginner from Australia and I get such a lot of support for the triathlon community - I know you will too.
    BTW Kodiak sounds very exotic to me...
    welcome and post again soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so envious - I really want to visit Alaska some day. BEAUTIFUL.

    I'm a total beginner triathlete and am also very content to be able to run/swim/bike. I'm really happy to have developed a fitness lifestyle in the past year. :)

    ReplyDelete