Customized and Personalized Coaching

Friday, July 6, 2007

Warranty?

Customer Service agent: Thank you for calling Garmin repair center. May I help you?
Me: I seem to be having a problem with my Garmin Forerunner 305 and wondered what the warranty specifications are.
C.S.: All warranties are 1 year, but do not cover cracked screens.
Me: (hopeful)How about if the unit gets run over by a car?
C.S: (silence) Um, no. That isn't really covered. What happened?!
Me: (sigh) Well, I wore it swimming a few days ago which resulted in water leaking into the screen. Since then it's been having trouble getting a signal. So, yesterday I put it on top of my car to try to improve the signal acquisition. Then I forgot it was on there and drove away. When I realized my error, I retraced my route and found it smashed in the middle of the road.
C.S.: (laughing) Wow, that sucks. Yeah, that's not something we usually cover.
Me: (resigned) I figured. What about refurbishment? I think the band pins are still good.
C.S.: Hold on. I may be able to help you out. (Silence with background typing noises)
I'll tell you what, since the unit was having trouble because of leaking, I will go ahead and split the cost of a standard repair of $89. This means you will probably just get a new unit.
Me: Seriously?! That's amazing. Thank you!




The conversation continued from there, but I will spare you the details. The bottom line is Garmin pretty much rocks and my loyalty to them will continue.
Clearly there was some bad juju surrounding my unit as of late. I'm more than happy to get it out of the way now so that I will be free for next weekend's race.
Making it happen (despite breaking my Garmin)...
Bree

3 comments:

  1. That's tremendous, Bree!

    It's so refreshing when customer service is actually ... well ... service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I got the exact opposite type of customer service from regal Cinemas, check out My July 8th blog posting.

    glad you are getting a new one, I will mark that note for future GPS purchase points. Did they say was not really designed to swim with???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a pretty awesome customer service response.

    ReplyDelete