Customized and Personalized Coaching

Monday, April 21, 2008

Earth Day Triathlon - Take 4

Saturday was my fourth running on the local triathlon, the Kodiak Earth Day Sprint. For the first time in recent memory, the sun was shining and the winds were calm for the race. It made for a great race day.
The race consists of a 1K pool swim (22 laps), 5K run, and finishes with a 20K bike on a pretty hilly course. No one has ever been able to explain to me why the run is before the bike, but that's the way it's always been done. It's sort of a pain in the ass to transition from swimming to running, if you ask me.
Anyway, my swim time actually increased by 5 seconds and I've decided I MUST learn how to flip turn. In the grand scheme of things I know it doesn't me a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure it cost me dearly on Saturday.
The run went well. I felt better than I have in the past on this leg and I am hoping it was because I took it just slightly easier during the swim.
The bike went great. I made up serious time and was having a blast riding in the sun. My husband was driving ahead of me on the route and would stop to take pics and then drive ahead. He told me I was 2 minutes behind the leader of my age group with about 4 miles to go. I absolutely hammered it and came within 10 seconds of her! See...that's why I need to learn how to do flip turns.
Just to make myself feel better, I went back and look at my time from the first year I did this race. 1:55:22 in 2004; 1:41:11 in 2008. It's a good trend, right?
Pics from the day!
Swim start











Coming in from the run











Nice scenery, huh? This also serves as the obligatory "it looks like she's crapping her pants" photo.







Hammering to the finish line...10 seconds too late.











Making it happen,
Bree

No comments:

Post a Comment