Customized and Personalized Coaching

Saturday, November 3, 2012

It was over before it began...


As I'm sure you are all aware, the 2012 NYC Marathon was canceled yesterday among growing controversy and concern.  While I am clearly upset, I agree with the decision to 100%. As the marathon approached and the state of devastation remained, I admit to a growing internal battle as to if this race should be held. Like many others, I was reassured by the words of Mayor Bloomberg that the marathon was not diverting resources and would serves as a unifying event for the city. As my post yesterday indicated, I justified the race as an opportunity to show the resilience of the human spirit. I truly did believe that the race would bring a bit of joy and a much needed distraction. Clearly this was not the case and I believe the right decision has been made. Aside from my obvious disappointment at not getting to run, I am mostly angry about the inexplicably bad timing of the announcement. Clearly the race should have been canceled on Tuesday morning and not Friday when the vast majority of the field had arrived. I incurred a fairly significant expense to get here, but I'm sure it pales in comparison to what others have faced. Every runner has a story about why they are running and what this race meant to him or her. Each story is equally important and the cancellation will be felt for a long time to come.  I actually consider myself one of the lucky ones because of my own beautiful family that lives here and I can enjoy spending time with them in the coming days. 

I choose to move forward and not dwell on what might have been. What's done is done and everyone needs to refocus their energy to restoring New York and New Jersey. Tomorrow, what would have been marathon Sunday, I will join fellow marathoners on a run through Staten Island where we will run while distributing much needed relief items. I hope this will provide a source of much needed goodwill between the running community and the city of New York. 
https://www.facebook.com/NewYorkRunnersInSupportOfStatenIsland

Many of my friends and family donated to Team Continuum as a part of my marathon journey. With their help I raised over $5,500 in support of this amazing and worthwhile cause.  I, and Team CAN, are extremely grateful for this support. To honor these pledges and my commitment to running 26.2 for Team CAN (and for my own sanity), I have decided to run the Las Vegas Marathon on December 2nd. While this race clearly does not have the history, prestige or "magic" of NYC, it will have to suffice as a suitable replacement.  

Thank you all again for your continued support and well wishes. My heart is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment