Customized and Personalized Coaching

Friday, March 2, 2007

Resting and Testing

This week has been a rest week in my training, which means decreased volume but time trials in each sport. I always enjoy these weeks and look forward to each test with nervous anticipation. Is that totally geeky or what? How much have I improved? What if I have an off day and the test doesn't truly reflect my gains?
Today is Friday and I've completed the tests in the swim and the bike. So far, I am surprised and a bit suspicious of my results.
The last time I did a time trial in the pool was on January 29th. I clocked 19:53:30 for 1,000 yards for a T-Time of 1:59/100 yards. Yeah, I know. Try not to be too impressed. When I repeated this test on Thursday I clocked 19:04 for the same distance. Do you know what that means? It means that my T-Time went to 1:54/100 yards. I dropped 5 freakin' seconds. IS THAT POSSIBLE? Of course, my first thought was that I must have missed a lap, but that would mean that I acutally got slower than my last test and I didn't think that was possible. So, here I am, stuck between refusing to believe I could have gotten that much faster and refusing to believe I could have gotten that much slower. What's a girl to do? Seriously, I need to know if this is a reality and not some funky glitch.
This morning I did an LT test on the computrainer of a friend of mine. The closest comparison to this that I have is a test I took in Seattle in December that also used a computrainer, but different testing methods. Results from that were:
5 mile time trial-
Finish time: 16:16:49
Avg Power: 143 watts
Max Power: 192 watts
Cadence: 92
Max power test (30 seconds ALL OUT)-
Avg Power: 263
Max Power: 350
Avg. Cadence: 100
Max Cadence: 125
So, from these tests they determined my LT was about 169 and my threshold power was 140 watts.
Today's test was a simply LT test in which I started at a given watts and the increased by 20 watts every minute until I could not longer sustain the effort.
LT Test -
Minute;Exertion (Borg Scale);HeartRate;Power
1;7;106;70
2 ;8;110;90
3;10 ;119;110
4;11 ;128;130
5;13;136;150
6;14 ;146;170
7;16 ;158;190
8;17 ;164;210
9;18;170;230
10;19;173;250
Apparently, this means my LT is 173 on the bike. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how the power fits into the picture. I mean, I understand what power means, but not quite in this context. If anyone has any insights, please let me know.
So far, so good I think.
Making it happen...

9 comments:

  1. To put your mind at rest maybe you could recruit a lap counter/split taker for your pool TT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you did drop 5 seconds on your lap time. Could be anything from better form to the fact that you just felt good that day. If you have been working hard and then relaxed a little your body was probably ready to go.

    If you have a power meter that is a better way to gauge your performance. HR is variable depending on how you feel, how hydrated you are, fatigue, etc., you may get different results today all other things being equal. But your power output SHOULD be the same, even if the HR you measured with those wattages is different.

    If your power meter is on the trainer and not on the bike then I am not sure if those numbers really mean much to you, except as a measure of progress the next time you get on the trainer.

    Drew in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could be of assistance on the bike TT, but I have no experience with that - in fact, you're educating me!

    However, I'm with Seaducer on the swim; a 5 second drop is possible. In which case - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhh, well, it sounds good whatever those numbers mean!!!

    (spoken by a simple ultrarunner...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spending too much time with whales has its benefits...SWIMMING SPEED! Congrats. Yes, you did drop 5 seconds and no doubt you'll drop another 5 in a few weeks. Keep it up Whale Rider.
    Seaducer is on the mark. My coach talks the same way about computrainer numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HECK yeah that seems right. It is early in the season, and you can certainly drop that much time! Way to go! You rock! The PowerTap / Meter is the way to go without question. Have your read "Training and racing with a Power Meter" by Coggan? It is a small book with loads of info! Way to go and can't wait for your next 5 sec drop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, good numbers. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't know much about testing, but i do know that your wattage is way higher than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, great blog - my hubby was telling me about it, so I decided to drop by.

    Yeah, I would go with the "getting faster". 5 seconds is an awesome improvement but not even close to impossible. Look how much I know -I'm an absolute newb. But I'd still go with the faster.

    The bike numbers sound cool but I have no idea about interpretation - other than going "Oooo. Power. Cool." Not too helpful.

    ReplyDelete