Customized and Personalized Coaching

Thursday, April 19, 2007

But it's suppose to be a "C" race......

I keep to myself. I go along day by day, quietly and happily doing my training in my own little type A personality world. And every so often I will do a race. Take this weekend, for example. Kodiak is holding its annual triathlon: the Earth Day sprint. It's a fun race, but one I don't often take very seriously. This year is no exception. I have a more important race in May and my "A" race of the year in July, which will be my first 1/2 IM.
So this race. The Earth Day Sprint. Just suppose to be a C race. I don't care much about it because I live in a small town and there will probably only be 15 or 20 people racing anyway. I was just going to putz along and have fun. You know, treat it like a brick workout. And then I read this in today's paper:

Two ladies look to knock Van Curen off her pedestal.

Former Earth Day Triathlon winner, Tari Lindquist, and Bree Witteveen, who has been training for the Sourdough Triathlon in Fairbanks — the longest in the state — should be Van Curen’s main competition.

Um...what? Knock her off her pedestal. Hadn't really planned on it. Hadn't really even thought about it. So now I find myself with a major dilemma. I know the smartest thing to do is continue with my original plan and just have fun with it. But now it's like someone has directly challenged me. They are calling me out! I know what you are all going to say:

"Resist the urge, Bree"

"Race your plan, Bree"

But, I also know what each of you would do if you were in my speed laced shoes right now. YOU WOULD RACE YOUR ASS OFF!!!

Making it happen....or maybe I shouldn't!

Bree

P.S. It's snowing.....again.

6 comments:

  1. from a guys perspective...RACE YOUR ASS OFF!
    I'm full of testosterone and if someone calls me out, I usually step up and oblige. If you can, do some quick research on Van Curen and see what her splits are. Are yours close? If so, it's a sprint race right? Go ahead and test your speed and show them you're strong and a tough competitor. Be smart. Yeah, I know what my comment to you was in your last post but I have to give credit to my coach for most of that. I'm not a coach, I'm a guy with too much testosterone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a woman's perspective... RACE YOUR ASS OFF!

    No explanation required dammit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need to always race your ass off but the C race is the one that you can try new things and not stress it...lets say you race your ass off and come in last??? so what it was a c race learn from it. never give only 80%...always 100%, its just priorities. Is that the Kodiak paper? I used to be a paperboy for that paper, rode my BMX bike that i bought with Alaska oil kicker money and loved it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking...race like mad, but don't fret if you don't knock her off her pedestal.

    ReplyDelete