Customized and Personalized Coaching

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Results Are In....

First things first. The Gold Nugget Triathlon is a fantastic race. It is well organized and supported and the course is beautiful. As I said, it is a women's only triathlon. That in itself is not that unusual, but I would hope you would be impressed when you learn that this was its 25th running. That is phenomenal for any triathlon...let alone a women's only race....in Alaska! So, the organizers of this race deserve massive kudos for putting together a fantastic event that has become a tradition.

And now, my race report. I flew from Kodiak to Anchorage on Saturday morning with three other fabulous ladies. Though we raced individually, our times were added collectively as a team. We were known as the Kodiak 5. Not very original, I know, but I didn't come up with it, so don't shoot the messenger.

I had an early bib number, so I was one of the lucky ones who was not required to rack my bike the night before. I went to the race venue to pick up my packet and checked out the lay of the land. Then the Kodiak Five (and a few tag along significant others) hit the infamous Bear's Tooth restaurant for a pre-race dinner. Then it was back home to pack my gear bag and try to get some shut eye.

My alarm went off at 6:30 and I awoke to a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky and warm (relatively speaking....still in AK remember!) I was at the venue by 7:00 and the first wave didn't start until 9:00. I hate the waiting between setting up transition and the start of the race. It kills me and give me way too much time to second guess my plans for the day.

The swim was 500 yards in a high school pool. This part of the race is pretty unique in its organization. They start the first 32 women who were seeded from last year's results. Once these women finish their swim, they rotate new swimmers in based on their numbers. Sounds tricky, but it works quite well.

I was #0096, so I rotated in only about 20 minutes after the first ladies went off. I did my 10 laps in 9:25. Pretty good for this "not that strong of a swimmer" gal. To get to my bike, I had to run through the locker room and out to the tennis courts. I threw on my shows, helmet, and shades and was off in 2:22. Long for a transition, but that is because it was so long between the pool and my bike.

I felt good going into the bike...especially with that strange yellow orb glowing in the sky. The bike course was all paved and had a couple of short hills. Great support along the way and very little traffic to add to the mix.
It was a 10 mile leg and I finished in 35:46. T2 was not in the same spot as T1. I had to pack my running shoes and hat in a separate bag which was transported for me to T2. I was sort of freaking out about this part, but, once again, the organizers did a great job and my bag was waiting for me. T2 time 00:52. Nice!

OK, now here is where I get excited. I had the best run of my short triathlon career on Sunday. The run was 4.1 miles through military trails. It was mostly flat and the scenery was stunning. I felt great every step of the way. I don't know what caused it. Training? Nutrition? Sunshine? I counted my steps...8 at a time on each time and before I knew it, I was at the first mile marker. I began to do "race math" and realized that I would easily meet my 1:30 time goal and I began to think about aiming for something a bit faster. As miles 2 and 3 came and my pace stayed steady, I decided I would try for 1:26. With about .5 miles to go, I knew 1:26 was in reach, so I picked up the pace and set me sights on finishing in 1:25. I crossed the line after 36:09 for a total race time of 1:24:34! I was through the moon!

I ended up 38 of 171 in my age group and 174/1117 over all. What does this mean? I've always been mid to back of the pack. . I'm a less than average swimmer, a decent biker, and a mediocre runner. I have always accepted the fact that I just don't have the genes to do much better. Am I being naive in thinking that
that things are changing for me? If so, a lot of credit needs to go to my coach, Lisa Keller of Multisport Training of Alaska. Who, by the way, raced on Saturday as well, finishing 8th overall in 1:08:01. Smoking!

I have to say that I had my best race to date on Sunday. I felt great throughout and am already pumped for this race next year. My friends took a few pictures, which I hope to post soon. Thanks for reading and for all of your comments!

Making it happen,
Bree

3 comments: