Customized and Personalized Coaching

Monday, January 17, 2011

Bi-polar Runner

On Monday night I did an hour long run which included a 2-mile time trial. I generally do these time trials once a month during the earlier phases of my training so my coach can judge my progress and set my paces.  The TT went surprisingly well. I felt strong and pushed myself just the right amount. I completed the 2 miles in 15:18, for a 7:39 pace. This is a decent improvement over my previous best of 15:51 (7:55). I was ecstatic and for the rest of the run I fed on that feeling and told myself "days like today are why I do this."
Fast forward to this weekend's long run of 1:40. I felt like two cement blocks had been strapped to my legs and my lungs felt like I had spent the weekend smoking. Unlike Monday, the thought running through my head was "why do I do this to myself." It was incredibly disappointing.
Why does that happen? How do I find consistency? And by consistency, I mean consistency in feeling good not feel like crap in motion. I suppose I could attribute the lousy weekend run to the accumulation of the week's workouts. I can understand not feeling 100% after a long week of work and training, but should it make THAT much of a difference? Maybe it should. Or maybe it does for me, but shouldn't. I know everyone has good days and bad and I should not expect to be the exception to these rule. However, I would think that a bit more consistency isn't too much to ask for.  What am I missing?
On another note, I have begun to use the Trigger Point hip and lower back kit to deal with my piriformis pain. I've only done it two or three times and while I haven't noticed a huge difference in my day-to-day discomfort, I do feel significantly better after I do a session.  I'm not sure how often I should be doing it, but I'm going to keep at it at two or three times a week and hope for continued improvement.

Training totals for 1/10-1/16
Swim - 6300 yards
Bike - 58.5 miles
Run - 23.4 miles
Plus one hour of boot camp and two trigger point sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment