Customized and Personalized Coaching

Sunday, February 4, 2007

The Sun Returns


The sun as decided to bless us with its presence. A breathtaking winter day in Kodiak.
I enjoyed a run outside for the first time in a couple of weeks. The run itself was pretty lousy, but I enjoyed the sound of my shoes on the pavement and the fresh air in my lungs.

I just received my next cycle of training from my coach. I have been in prep phase up to this point, but this week marks the start of my base training for my first half iron distance race in July. I just hired a coach at the start of the year. I am hoping she will help me find my place, meaning how fast and how far I should be going in order to perform to the absolute best of my ability. The only drawback is she is not based in Kodiak. What? You're surprised that there aren't triathlete coaches on every corner? I know; it's shocking. Try to believe me.

Today I am going to hit the trainer for a bit before throwing my usual diet practices to the wind at a Super Bowl party this afternoon. Go Bears? Go Colts? Oh, who cares...I really only watch for the commercials and for the excuse to eat crap food.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Tri-ing to keep warm,
    Nice to read about someone who's plight is similar to mine. I'm a wildlife biologist, although not in beautiful remote Alaska. I'm on a project in MN and WI. I've got a case of cabin fever cuz it's been super sub zero with wicked wind chills the past 5 days and I've had to practically live at the local YMCA. My dog is so wound up cuz playing fetch in the house just doesn't cut it. Good on ya for hiring a coach. I also hired my first coach late last summer to help me taper and peak for my first half iron and was pleased with the results. I'm now 2 months into trainging for my first full iron race in June and my coach is doing a fine job keeping me on task. I'm sure you'll reach your full potential and kick some aces just for fun. Good luck, Benson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, and welcome to blogland! your pictures are beautiful - kodiak looks like an amazing place to live!

    i work with a coach via the internet, too. i live in az (how much different can we get than alaska??) and she lives in canada. we do everything via email and phone and it has really worked out great for me. having a coach is a must for me - i like the personalized schedule and the accountability factor. i think its pretty common and works well as long as there is good communication between you two. good luck!

    ReplyDelete