Customized and Personalized Coaching

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Bree's Trip to the Desert or Learning that the Sun Provides Warmth and Not Just Light

Well, despite the fact that we couldn't afford a vacation (money or time wise), Mark and I finally had enough of the colder than usual spring weather, threw caution to the wind and escaped to the desert. We flew into Las Vegas and hung out at the MGM Grand for a few days. Neither of us do much gambling, so we basically just walked the strip. The highlights were seeing the Blue Man Group and the scary lions at the MGM "lion habitat experience"


So, after two days in Vegas, we rented a Harley and took off through the desert. Our final destination was Zion National Park in southwest Utah. Before I continue, let me offer a brief piece of advice. Don't drive through the desert on a Harley when it is 120 degrees. It's hot, ya know. Like really hot. While this may be obvious to most, it wasn't to either of us. Can I survive if I'm lost in the woods in a snow storm? OF COURSE! Can I survive if I were trapped in the desert? Hell no! They play by different rules. That sun can do some evil stuff. But, I digress.







We finally made it to Zion with only mild heat stroke. How many of you have been to Zion, raise your hands? Not nearly enough of you! If you haven't been...GO! If you have been, GO BACK! Itis amazing.












I could go on and on about it, but the highlight of our time there was a killer mountain bike ride on "slick rock." We rented bikes from Zion Cycles.
They guy who runs it, Freddie, is great and doesn't
skimp on the gear he rents. We were able to get top of the line Treks with full suspension. Mine was even a women's specific design. NIIIIIICE.















Another handy fact about Zion (actually Springdale, which is the town just outside of the park) is that the restaurants have great food and great views. The people are fantastic.
Like I said, I could go on and on about what a great place this was, but I will spare you for now. We actually did end up back in Vegas for a couple of days and, while we enjoyed it, we would have much rather spent more days biking and hiking.




My only complaint is that Mark turned our adventure into a photo shoot for Kodiak Solstix and we had to stop every 15 feet to take promotional pics for the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment