Customized and Personalized Coaching

Monday, May 28, 2007

Off to the races

While my husband's favorite part of Crab Fast is the world famous bruin burgers, my favorite part are the races! There are four races on the Sunday of Crab Fest. An ultra marathon (42 miles), marathon, train run (15K up Pillar Mt), and a 42 mile bike relay. I have done the Pillar race the past few years, so planned on doing that one again. Well, my coach said it would be great if I could turn this race into a brick and ride a for a few hours before the race. Hey...how convenient! I'll just do the bike race too!
The bike race started, literally, at the end of the road and ended in town. It started at 9:00 and the Pillar run started at 12:30, so I had to ride to town fast enough to make the next start but not so fast that I would cool down and stiffen up between the two events.
Mark drove me out the road with both my mountain bike and my Cervelo. The first 10 miles of the ride is on a dirt road and I wasn't about to ride Paulo through that mess.
The Start:


Mark met me at the transition from gravel to pavement and I made the switch. I was getting my ass kicked on the dirt, but once I hit the paved road, I started flying. It's a tough ride, very hilly, but beautiful scenery.
Mile 17ish....


One of the hills...I'm the second dot from the top.


I passed a few folks along the way and without 12 miles to go, I passed who I thought was the female with the lead. I finished the 42 miles in about 3:04. As soon as I crossed the line, Mark came up to me and helped me with my stuff and another fella came up and said "Congratulations. First woman!" Wow! I was right. I had passed the lead female. I won! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! No time to celebrate, though. I had ten minutes to change, register, and get over to the Pillar Mt. race start. I made it with about 2 minutes to spare. Perfect because I was started to get chilled from the sweat on my shirt.
The run hurt. The first 3 miles are straight up hill and my legs were tapping me on the shoulder asking "um...excuse, but WTF?" Once I reached the top of the mountain, I got into a rhythm and felt pretty good and once I hit the road back to town, I was able to turn in a decent pace (about 9min/mile, which is fast for me). I finished in about 1:22, which was 3rd for my age group. Now before anyone gets too excited, there were only three in my age group BUT I wasn't last for the day and the 2nd place finisher was only 4 minutes ahead of me. Plus, did she ride 42 miles before hand? NO!
Here I am at the race finish. So what do you think? Am I:
a: very tired
b. dehydrated
c. ready to finish
d. crapping my pants

I wrapped things up with some nachos and an ice cream bar. Does a day get any better than that?!
Making it happen,
Bree

3 comments:

  1. Nice job on the brick/race and kick'n butt on the bike. Way to hang in there on the run too. it looks like the weather wasn't too bad? I'll go with B. I hope you washed down the nachos with some malted beverage "rehydrating" fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. double race day!! that is sick...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete