Customized and Personalized Coaching

Sunday, June 24, 2007

But what does it really mean to you?

It's been a slow week and I can't say that I have a whole lot to blog about with respect to triathlon. It was a recovery week and Monday I will start my peak training before the taper begins.
Let me take this time then to wax philosophical about what this whole thing called triathlon means to me. On the surface it seems like a bunch on nonsense and an obnoxious, obsessive habit. And I'm sure to some people that is exactly what it is. But for me it really is much more. It's a source of stress relief, an identity, a motivator. It's a way for me to step away from the daily grind and obligations for complete and total me time.
I get ribbed a lot for being so meticulous about recording my times, heart rates, and paces or for rearranging a whole week's schedule to accommodate lap swim hours at the pool. And I laugh about it because why shouldn't I? I know I'm obsessive. I know it's all way over the top. The thing is, I don't care. The feeling I get when finishing a race or a hard work out or simply by identifying myself as a triathlete to someone I've just met are irreplaceable. Cheesy? Well, of course it is. Over the top? Perhaps. Do I want it to change? Hell no!
I think about the people that do tease me or don't understand why I spend the little spare time I have on the road or in the pool and all I want for them is to find something in their lives that can bring them as much joy and inner peace as triathlon brings to me. I don't care what it is (aside from obvious horrible choices like prostitution or running a meth lab), but if everyone had that one thing to escape into I cannot help but think that we'd all be a little better off.
Making it happen...
Bree

5 comments:

  1. Bree, a great workout log (with times) can show you a lot.

    Empirical Data = A Good Thing. At least where I come from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love triathlon, and I love being a triathlete- for all of the reasons you named. It's a great lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok I will shut down the meth lab.,,,,,,I can take a hint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you say what most of us are thinking. thanks for putting it into words.

    ReplyDelete