Customized and Personalized Coaching

Sunday, July 1, 2007

My "job"

When I'm not training or racing, I am a whale biologist and am working towards my PhD in Conservation Biology. Someone actually pays me to spend sunny days on the water taking photographs and biopsy samples of whales.
This video is from one day last week showing us approaching a humpback whale and collecting a biopsy sample. The whale will generally react to the shot, but it is minimally invasive and the whales are rarely, if ever, bothered by the whole ordeal. Oh yeah, and in case it wasn't obvious, I have a federal permit that allows me to do this.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Bree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty cool video - and I'm virtually immune to all things marine bio (I'm an aquatic ecologist in Seattle, so I know the reality of the "glamourous" life of a marine biologist. :)

    Where do you go to school? Who are you working with? Very cool blog!

    ReplyDelete