Customized and Personalized Coaching

Monday, June 18, 2007

Harumph

On Saturday, it was 72 degrees. Mild by many folks' standards, but damn right sweltering here. In fact, we broke a record for that date. So, I was pumped on Saturday as I thought ahead to my long brick on Sunday. It was going to be sunny and warm and great training for the weather conditions I will likely face in Fairbanks next month. I should have known things were not going to go well as soon as I woke up and saw fog and drizzle. Crap.
I ditched the shorts and short sleeve jersey I had laid out and upgraded to the longer, warmer version of both and dug out my gloves. Harumph. I was already grumpy.
I have been experimenting with nutrition during these long bricks. This week was a 3 hour bike and a 1 hour run. I mixed a Perpetum paste to last me on the bike and poured it into two gel flasks. I filled a third gel flask with two servings of gel for the run. I filled my two rear mounted bottles with water and clif electrolyte. Hurumph.
And then I was off. It was cold and wet and I was irritated. My feet were numb and there was a head wind no matter which direction I went. Hurumph.
At the start on hour 3, I reached for my second flask of Perpetum and it fell out of my hand into the road. Double harumph. I turned around to get it and just as I was getting ready to cross the road to pick it up...SMASH! My poor little gel flask (which was brand new, by the way) met its fate by means of 4 wheel drive. Hmmm....how desperate would I look if I start lapping up nutrition from asphalt? Triathletes are known to be a little obessive compulsive, right? OK, I'll let it go, I won't be happy about it. Poor little gel flask. Never had a chance to shine. And not sure now if Perpetum is the way to go since I didn't get to execute my full nutrition plan. (Hee, hee. Execute my nutrition plan. What a freak! Who says stuff like that?)
After returning home, I took my time in "transition" because I was soaking wet and freezing. I changed into dry pants and socks and went out for the run. Ten minutes in, my iPod died and I was sans "ear company" for the next 6 miles. Harumph, harumph, harumph.
To make matters worse, I just felt flat all day. It was not a great brick and I was completely exhausted that night and this morning. Thank goodness I am now on a recovery week. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that I'm feeling a little worn out. Though volume wasn't at a peak during this cycle, intensity definitely was and my bricks were the longest of the plan.
I know that I am grumbling about the brick, but it wasn't really that bad and I'm still just grateful to be out there day after day.
Another thing I'm thankful for...my BRAND NEW BIKE WORKSTAND! Wahoo! Thanks to my hubby for that one. He surprised me with it after being out of town all last week. It seems that Mark had time to buy me a little happy in between rubbing elbows with the Gov and accepted praise and accolades for his marketing genius.
So, blog entry recap:
Saturday-Sunny and warm
Sunday - Rainy and cold
Brick- Crappy
Gel flask - Smashed beyond recognition
Attitude - Superficially grumpy, but quite content in reality
Husband - a freakin' super star

Making it happen....
Bree

No comments:

Post a Comment