Customized and Personalized Coaching

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Lucky?

Luck can be good or bad and sometimes both. As I lay in bed all weekend long with my wounded toe propped high in the air, I thought about how my situation was filled both kinds of luck. The bad luck is obvious; I nearly chopped off my toe two weeks before my scheduled fall marathon. But, in retrospect, the good luck definitely outshines the bad. The accident could have been a lot worse. Just 1", hell even 1/2", further back on my foot and it would have been more than just my second toe that took a beating. The shoes I was wearing also saved my bacon. Had I been wearing just about any other pair of shoes I own....oh man, I shudder to think.
So while I spent many hours feeling sorry for myself the past few days, I've spent many more being thankful that I wasn't more seriously hurt.
I went back to the doctor yesterday and things are looking surprisingly well. I have been given the green light, my only limitation being my own comfort level. I've been told that I can't do anymore damage to the toe by running on it, so I may as well do what makes me happy. Now that's what I call good advice!
After that news, I rode my trainer last night with virtually no pain and I was flying high. Then an hour or two later I decided to kick my husband's laptop bag which set fiery waves of pain through my whole foot. It was the kind of pain where tears immediately spring to your eyes and you can't help but buckle forward. Needless to say I dipped into the prescription narcotics last night.
So, my confidence is a bit shaken this morning, but I feel reasonably good. I am still hesitant to try running yet, but I did manage to put on regular shoes this morning. My coach is recommending I stick with the bike for a few more days and I think I will heed her advice. Baby steps will hopefully lead to marathon steps on the 28th!
Wish me luck!

Bree

1 comment:

  1. Owwee!
    Good news from the doc.
    I suggest always wearing steel toe boots for the next 2 weeks. Don't even take them off to shower or sleep. Protect that toe likes it a sore thumb...er, a sore toe. Poo on fashion, this is your tootsies we're talking about here.

    ReplyDelete